[rescue] What to do with a 630mp?

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 23 15:45:35 CDT 2001

On August 23, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:
> If, in the proper care and feeding of suntoyz.....(:+}}..., I wanted to
> feed it beefier beefcake cpus (gads!)..... what particular part numbers
> should I be looking for, and will it require ram speedups for the on-board
> ram?  I have zero info for this critter so am mostly shooting from the hip
> on it.  It seems to be full up on 4mb 30 pin ram sticks.  It has one cpu
> board with 6 heat sinks marked Ross on it, but the dmesg on boot indicated
> only a 4/600 cpu at 40mhz, so I am expecting it is one of the lesser cpu's.

  It's an SM100, which despite its misleading model number, is a total
piece of crap.  It's an early uncached (or nearly so) dual 40MHz
processor made by Ross that's slower than pissing tar.  Sell it to an
idiot on eBay and get another processor.  An SM61 would be great, and
they're quite affordable these days.  Even a single SM41 will run
rings around two SM100 modules.

  Seriously...a 4/600 with a decent mbus module makes a great
machine.  An SM100 gives it a HUGE black eye.  You will be amazed at
the difference in performance.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire