[rescue] Re: What to do with a 630mp?

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 23 13:17:46 CDT 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On August 23, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:
> > I pulled the cpu board (501-1894?) out of my 630MP crate, and dropped it
> > into a 3 slot chassis.  After adding in a cg3 and testbooting the critter,
>
>   ...and if you put beefier CPUs in it, it's even better. :)  Five
> bucks is a steal.

Definitely. Just think of it as a SPARCstation 10 on a VME board. You
could probably run some kick-arse CPUs on it (not sure how far up the
HyperSPARC line you can go--I think I tried a 200 once but had a jumper
wrong so it showed up as 180MHz).

> > For the sake of something to do with it, I was thinking of dropping
> > the board into a 3/160 12 slot deskside cabinet, and mounting up a set
>
>   VME [mostly] being VME, that should work just fine.  I can't say
> I've run a 4/600 in one of those chassis, but I've run all the other
> 4's in them.

I've run 4/600 in the 6-slot deskside (3/150?), 3-slot deskside (4/330),
and 3-slot desktop (4/110) with no problems, with a memory expansion board
and/or a jaguar IPI board, for what it's worth. You should have no
problem. The only issues I remember are with the 3/60 because of its
limited VME connection (serial console won't work, right?).

Gotta like hardware where the analgesics required to recover cost more
than the product itself. :-)

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows