[rescue] What to do with a 630mp?

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 23 11:23:45 CDT 2001

> > Are there any known problems in dropping a 630MP cpu into one of the old
> > VME cases?
>
> I know little about VME, but from what I've heard, if it works, just check
> that it isn't stretching the PS (if the 630 ps is the same size a the
> 3/160 ps, then you should be set, otherwise, someone else might be able
> to say), and check that it stays cool, and you should be set.

I am sure the old deskside case has sufficient power.  What might be worrisome
is any strange jumpering requirements on the backplane.  I am only going to
use the one card in the case, and mount the drives on one of the slide-in
metal vme air ducting sheets off in the higher slot numbers.  There should
be more than sufficient cooling I would expect, since the old vme stuff ran
pretty warm.

Any other pre-installation oddities I might run across?

What if I were to add in additional memory beyond the original on-cpu
128mb?

Thanks

Bob