[rescue] Netra 1100/1400 => 1105/1405?

Scott Newell rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 22 21:53:28 CDT 2001

>DC-DC converters are often switching units too.

Has to be, unless it's a linear regulator.

>Indeed I've heard tell some switching units will drive their own
>oscilators no matter whether you feed them AC or DC?

A lot of switchers (especially the smaller non power factor corrected
units) simply rectify and filter the incoming AC to derive the internal bus
voltage, so they don't care if the input is AC or DC, and they don't care
if the waveshape is a 'true sine' or clipped sine or square wave.

One cheap and dirty solution might be to stack up 4 beefy PC power
supplies; tie the 12V outputs in series to get 48 VDC.  Depending on the
supplies, dummy loads might be required on the 5V rails to allow them to
regulate.  Or go with a nice big hunk o' iron, filter caps, and large
heatsinks (the linear way)!

newell