[rescue] Netra 1100/1400 => 1105/1405?

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 22 19:38:11 CDT 2001

On 22 Aug 2001 17:08:48 -0700, James Lockwood wrote:
> On 22 Aug 2001, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
>
> > How much are the machines though?  The power supply it what's expecting
> > -48V (probably NOT +48V, unless it's some weird stuff), so replacing it
> > with a normal power supply shouldn't be that hard.  Replacing the power
> > supply shouldn't be hard, assuming we can find a pinout for the
> > connector on the motherboard.
>
> If it's the same as the U60 power connector, you won't be able to use an
> off the shelf PC power supply.  The U1/2/30/60 (and some others)
> powersupply generates core CPU voltages directly through a set of control
> lines.

Ick.  What happened to computers getting DC current from the power
supply?

And while we're on the topic, does the SGI Indy do something like this?
I'd much rather get some nice switching power supplies and hack new
connectors onto them than have to take apart and repair power supplies
from these beasts.

> Easiest thing to do by far is to get a p/s that can pump out -48VDC at a
> few amps and use the existing p/s to regulate.  A simple linear setup with

Any idea what a typical draw on one of these machines is likely to be?
I'd make this a less general question, but I don't know enough about
these machines to know what "reasonable" (not maxed, not bare bones
either) would be.
	Greg