[rescue] SunOS 4.x (was: Re: FDDI stuff)

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 22 12:51:39 CDT 2001

On August 22, Bill Bradford wrote:
> The only sucky thing about 4.1.x was the amount of work required to get
> it fairly secure out of the box, along with the broken name service
> resolution (although "enabling" DNS was easy enough..)

  Very true...but you only have to do that once. :)

> I never ran it on anything faster than a Classic; maybe I should pick up
> a dual/quad-CPU ss10/20 and give it another shot.

  SunOS4's multiprocessor support isn't very good...if memory serves,
it uses the One Big Lock(tm) method of dealing with kernel
processing.  Don't expect stellar multiprocessor performance out of
it.  Its uniprocessor performance kicks ass, though.

    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD