[rescue] hrm.

Rebecca Ore rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 22 12:01:17 CDT 2001

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 12:29:21PM -0400, Rebecca Ore wrote:
> >
> > Single but old female (53).  Midlife geek conversion -- first IT job,
> > at 50.
>
> what did you do before that? (if you don't mind my asking)

Publishing industry various jobs, graduate school, reporter, writing
science fiction which I sold but didn't make enough money on to live
on, even with a free house.

Had wanted to get into computers at the maintenance level earlier but
was told I couldn't unless I had military training by some person at
IBM in something like the mid-80s.  Had been too intimidated by the
idea that all this required math skills when I was in my 20s.

Biggest hurdle for women, I think, is believing that they can do the
work.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net