[rescue] FDDI questions.

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 21 23:45:18 CDT 2001

[ On Tuesday, August 21, 2001 at 22:52:47 (-0400), Brian Hechinger wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] FDDI questions.
>
> what choice did thay have though?  they made a choice to switch to SysV (even
> if we all agree that it was a bad one) and they had to stick with it.  you
> can't have expected them to maintain both.  that would have required, uhm, like
> another programmer or two. :)

The switch to SysV (er, rather the co-development of SysVr4) is what
saved them and gave them a production quality OS platform.

It's some of what they did to it afterwards/since that has made them if
not the NT of the Unix world (AIX probably wins that position by a
country mile!), then at least something not quite tasteful.....

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>