[rescue] FREE STUFF in Austin, TX

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 21 22:39:52 CDT 2001

On August 21, David Passmore wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 11:57:43PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
>
> > IDE has it's place.  It is perfect for MP3s and Divx files.  Uhm,  that
> > seems to be about it though.  Everything else is probably too important
> > for plain IDE.
>
> You know, as has been said before, the mechanics of the drive normally do
> not change between IDE and SCSI... just the controlling logic. A Seagate
> SCSI drive is just as likely to croak as a Seagate IDE drive.

  Up until the current series of Seagate drives, there were indeed two
different lines of actual mechanics.

> With that said, I think IDE vs. SCSI is just like any religious war... moot,
> because each has its place.

  Not to be argumentative, but...while I agree with your statement
above, the "usual" SCSI/IDE debate most certainlyh is NOT a religious
war.  It's a war that comes about when someone who doesn't know what
they're talking about poo-poos SCSI because it's more expensive and
less available (well, in retail stores, anyway), criticising anyone
who uses it because "IDE is bigger and better and the wave of the
future and blah blah blah"...for ALL applications.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD