[rescue] Is this a POS?

Matthew Haas rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 21 15:49:11 CDT 2001

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001 wa2egp at att.net wrote:

> I went to a hamfest today and spotted an SGI Indigo
> drive, no memory.  Is this thing worth putting money
> into it to get it going or is it just a POS (I don't

The first order of business is to determine the type of processor...
either R4k or R3k. The R4k machines are much more usable and you would
definitely have a great machine, both in looks and performance.

Take the processor board out and note any part numbers... also if the CPU
has a heat sink (I believe that is an important discerning factor).

The downside to having an R3k Indigo is that is uses proprietary 64-pin
memory (a little more difficult to find), where the R4k Indigos use 72-pin
parity (80nS or faster).

If you don't have a keyboard/mouse then things will be interesting,
especially if you want to use it as a graphical workstation. While the
connector is PS/2 style, the signals are not compatible (it uses a serial
keyboard/mouse, not bus).

As for hard drive/any other SCSI device... chain it on the outside
(easiest way, especially if you don't have any sleds)... jumper it for ID4
- ID7... everything else is for internal devices (SCSI host is ID0).

And the graphics- either an LG1/LG2 8-bit framebuffer or an express
graphics (24-bit) based card... XS24, XS24Z, XZ, and Elan.

A good site I have found useful as well as interesting is:

http://www.irisindigo.com/

Links to lots of useful sites as well as FAQs, and even a for sale forum.

Good luck :)

-Matthew