[rescue] Is this a POS?

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 21 08:09:53 CDT 2001

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 05:24:06AM +0000, wa2egp at att.net wrote:
> I went to a hamfest today and spotted an SGI Indigo
> under a bunch of PC crap.  It had a few minor scratches,
> no keyboard, no monitor.  Thinking it was just a case
> and it would blow the mind of the tech at school if I
> just sat it on my desk, I bought it for less than I
> would spend at McDonald's.  When I got home I opened it
> up and there is a CPU card and graphics card, no hard
> drive, no memory.  Is this thing worth putting money
> into it to get it going or is it just a POS (I don't
> mean to ruffle any feathers here)?  Feedback welcome
> (OK, some flames too if necessary) I know this is
> sunhelp but I know there are some SGI fans out there too.

Ram for those things isn't too bad, and as far as I know, no Indigo2 is
actually a POS.  The worst that it could be would be a 24bit board with no
3D, but I would think that it is far more likely an XZ, Elan, or
Extreme.  Assuming that it is in a grean case.  If it is in a purple case,
then you really probably got something really, really good.

Anyway, if you put in memory but no hard drive, you will at least be able
to go in and figure out what you have.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/

IANAL: I am not a [lama|lawyer|luser|leper].