[rescue] FDDI questions.

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 21 07:51:47 CDT 2001

>   There aren't any options that don't cost a fortune.  Just put all of
> your important stuff on FDDI and be done with it. :-)

that's sorta what i figured.  oh well. :)

>   The important things to keep in mind are primary data paths and
> bottlenecks.  There's *no* point in having a 100Mbit ethernet
> connection between your router and your web server unless you've got
> more than 10Mbits of outbound bandwidth, for example.  But, having
> both your desktop workstation and your local web cache on the FDDI
> ring *really* makes web browsing nice.  Just visualize where most of
> the data flows, and if any of it can potentially peak higher than
> 10Mbits, put it on a FDDI-capable machine.

well, NFS was my primary concern, but the NetApp i picked up has both
a FastE port and a FDDI card, so that pretty much solves my problems
there.  other than that, everything should be able to survive on 10M
since it's all "small" traffic like telnet and snmp and whatnot. and
i guess i could really pull the FastE cards out of the sun boxes and
run them on 10M withouth impacting myself too much.

all the cool machines have FDDI anyway.  it just means i have to run
Solaris more often and NetBSD less often.  i can live with that.

maybe you all think i'm weird, but i *LIKE* Solaris.

-brian