[rescue] FDDI questions.

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 20 23:13:03 CDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 12:05:44AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   The WS-C1400 is a *wonderful* concentrator.  We bought a few of them
> at Digex back in '95 or so, paid close to $20K/ea for them.  Now
> they're $100-200 on eBay.  I've emailed the $899 guy, explaining the
> facts of resale life to him.

hmm, i may end up needing a second concentrator, maybe i should pick one of
them up (i love cisco gear, probably why i have so much of it. *G*)

>   Just keep searching on eBay...they'll turn up.

ebay rules, somestimes.  although gary's scares me.  glad i don't live close
enough to go there very often.  although i'm glad i went on saturday. :)

>   Yes...I use Cisco WS-C1200 Workgroup Stack ethernet switches with
> DAS FDDI uplinks.  They sometimes go as cheap as $50 on eBay, and they
> work VERY well...they even do VLANs.  The ethernet ports are only
> 10baseT, but all of the serious computers here have FDDI interfaces.

what are the options for FDDI to FastE translation service?  my sparc10 can't
keep pace with wirespeeds.  what should i look for?  maybe i should start
getting on Jeff's case to finish the NetBSD FDDI drivers so i can ditch the
ethernet in my NetBSD/sparc boxes.  hmmmmmmm.

-brian