[rescue] Room for computers

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 20 22:55:43 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 11:45:20PM -0400, Michael S. Schiller wrote:
> Heck, I have a 3 bedroom house, and I've just decided to move around my
> machines, to make things more manageable, and the plan I've come up with makes
> the smallest bedroom (maybe 6x10) into a machine room (SC2000, an old SS690
> case as rack space, SS670 w/ expansion unit, and a Tektronix Phaser IIIpxi)
> with a window AC unit to add to the central AC's cooling of the room, another
> bedroom (around 10x10) to be used as a 'terminal room' where I'll setup my U5,
> PC, and either my vaxstation vlc, or HP apollo 425 (or maybe both) on my 3
> computer desks that are currently scattered around the house! That will leave
> me with just my Tadpole outside of those 2 rooms, no computers in the living
> room / dining room, or kitchen anymore! (other than ones I'm setting up getting
> ready to sell) I might leave the dining room as a room to setup machines I'm
> going to sell, as well as the room where I'll pack them, etc. I've been doing
> that out in the carport, but winter is coming, and it'll get too cold to do
> that outside pretty soon.

Personally, I think a terminal (an old notebook, or something else with a
flat panel display and a liquid resistant keyboard) in the kitchen is
entirely appropriate.  It can do such things as act as a message center,
shopping list organizer, and of course recipe database.

Something diskless and fanless would also be good for the living room for
MP3 playback and TV guide and IMDB lookups.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/