[rescue] FDDI questions.

Michael S. Schiller rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 20 22:33:01 CDT 2001

Mike:

Thanks alot for your help. I'm sending this email to the list, as the topic has gone from questions regarding inventory to
more general questions about FDDI, and this way it might clear up things for others as well as myself concerning FDDI.

I've looked on ebay, and didn't see any FDDI concentrators, other than I think one that was selling for like $900 or so!
My SC2000 has lots of open sbus slots, could I just put a bunch of FDDI cards in it, and let it act as a concentrator
(router?) for my small network? I would probably only want to connect my U5, my SS670, and my SC2000, and possibly my PC
via FDDI. These are the machines that are currently connected via 100bt, with the other machines in my network (a Tadpole
3GX, a few print servers, etc) connected via 10bt.

Would there be any point to leaving the 100bt network in place, or should I  just replace it totally with FDDI? If anyone
has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

-Mike

Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, you wrote:
> > Mike:
> >
> > Clear? about as clear as mud :) So what exactly is a concentrator? Is that the fibre term
> > for a hub? Or is it something different?
>
> Right something like a switch actually. They are available cheep if you look
> around.
>
> > Sorry for asking all these questions, but I'm still trying to figure out if it's worthwhile for me to install a fibre
> > network here at home, or just leave it 100bt. Thanks a bunch.
>
> No worries, Dave McGuire will most likely be better to explain the inner most
> working of FDDI way better than I can.
>
> You will find FDDI to run about 2 times better than fast E. Not real expensive
> to get up and going although can be a bit daunting if you never dealt with it
> before.
>
> - Mike N

*PGP fingerprint= D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74 *
*Email: schiller at agrijag.com       \|||/    http://www.agrijag.com *
*Voice: 423-625-6349               (o o)    FAX: 423-623-9054      *