[rescue] Screw (software) emulators!

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 20 22:25:17 CDT 2001

mcguire at neurotica.com writes:

>On August 7, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:
>> > Well, if one is really into masochismus type things, Dennis Ritchie was
>> > looking for any V1 unix bits still extant.  He has uncovered a few.
>> > I wonder if it might be possible to recreate the V1 UNIX on one of
>> > these ``new'' pdp8 thingies.....(:+}}...  That would be a gas....
>>
>> Cancel that... the V1 was on a PDP-7, and not a PDP-8....., oh, well....

>  [ok, I'm behind on my email...so sue me]

>  Unless my memory is suffering from severe bit rot, the pdp7 and pdp8
>share the same instruction set.  One might need to concern oneself
>with IOTs and such, but the base code should run.

You're probably thinking of the PDP-5, the first of DEC's 12-bit line.

The PDP-7 was an 18 bitter. (PDP-1, 4, 7, 9, 15)

The 12 bitters were PDP-5, 8, LINC, LINC-8, 12.

-------- David Fischer --------- dave at cca.org --------- www.cca.org --------
-------- If it wasn't for good luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all. -------