[rescue] Re: rs6000 keys

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 20 14:11:46 CDT 2001

On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, bill pointon wrote:

> from geeks...........
> hi folks --  any old rs6000 keys
> lying around ?????? --- i need a key for the keyswitch so
> i dont need to use a screwdriver
> to turn it on and off -----------
> --- any and all help would be appreciated

I'm not sure if you need an exact key replacement (and don't have it
working at the moment) or you can turn your keyswitch but it's
inconvenient.  If you need to bypass the switch completely, here's how to
hotwire an RS/6000:

           LOST KEY: ( 7013 tested )
           RED, GREEN and BLACK wires on keylock
           SERVICE: RED and GREEN together
           SECURE: RED and BLACK together

You could also remove the lock assembly itself and superglue a small dial
to the end of the switch, that's what I ended up doing.

-James