[rescue] Re: CDDI/FDDI from Cisco (old stuff--any good?)

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 20 00:41:11 CDT 2001

On August 19, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> Switched FE, full-duplex doesn't have collisions.
> Switched FE, half-duplex collides
> unswitched FE, full-duplex collides
> unswitched FE, half-duplex collides
> switched 10Mbit, full-duplex collides (I think?)
> switched 10Mbit, half-duplex collides
> unswitched 10Mbit, full-duplex collides
> unswitched 10Mbit, half-duplex collides

  Umm, what?

  Unless my understanding of the way ethernet works is seriously flawed
(which I kinda doubt, having spent three years working for Jerry
Clancy, chairman of committee IEEE 802.3, and please forgive me if
that sounds snotty) there's no way a switched ethernet network CAN
have collisions...and the duplex configuration has *nothing* to do with
it.

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire