[rescue] Re: Re: So Adaptec sucks...but

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 19 00:14:42 CDT 2001

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Larry Snyder wrote:

> Robert Novak <rnovak at indyramp.com> wrote:
> ---my own stuff snipped---
> > Maybe look around for a cheaper supported SCSI card?
> >
> > Intraserver/LSI have a single-channel short UWSCSI (40MB/sec) card at
> > http://www.intraserver-store.com/ss3140um.html for just $190. Drivers are
> > apparently included in Solaris.
>
> except that one's not differential....

And here's where I write the big OOPS on my forehead and apologize. I'd
missed the HVD requirement. Sure enough, the $425 one is right there.

There is a LSI8751D for $315 but it's only listed under Intel.

> and that one's LVD vs. HVD....

Yeah, I was going on SE assumption, which was quite misplaced. Sorry about
that. The stuff about Antares and Phobos might still be valid--see

 http://www.antares.com/scsi/0060.htm (P-0060 PCI SCSI-UWD "driverless")
 http://ace-electronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Ace-1&Category_Code=Ultra+Wide+Differential+%281-+or+2-+ports%29
has the card for $355 and the Intraserver/LSI ITI3140UD-VS for $392. They
also have some AXdp/AXmp boards but no online pricing for them.

www.partnersdata.com has a single channel HVD for $343.

> > If it were me, I'd probably use about $400 worth of my time and then break
> > down and get the $200 card. :)
>
> ...and it's me, and I will likely do the same damned thing!

Good to know I'm not alone, he says, having just wandered to Walmart at
9pm to get a pair of pliers to pull a case screw out of a motherboard so
he can put his ALR Revolution 7200 which defies all cases into a case it
defies less....

-=-Rob (who still has to bring his Netapp up from the car tonight,
probably)

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows