[rescue] So Adaptec sucks...but

Larry Snyder rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 18 19:34:50 CDT 2001

Here's the scenario:

I've managed to get 8 up on the shiny new U30.  And managed to load up
a bunch of tools as well (ssh, etc).  It's got a pair of 4.2's.

I have a pair of fully loaded RSM trays (60G total) that want WD scsi.

There's a 486 linux box in the back room w/ an AHA3944 PCI card in it
that should talk to these guys (dual, at that!).

The supported Symbios/LSI single-port card is $425.

Here's the question:

Am I ahead to get a multipack and a bunch of spud brackets and migrate
the freebie disks, or buy the $$$card, or try and get the 3944 running
under 8?

If there's any chance of getting the 3944 going, I perfectly willing
to experiment.....
thanx,
-ls-