[rescue] Remove power supply, add RAM - you're right...

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 17 22:07:40 CDT 2001

Eric wrote:
> Don't feel bad. I'm setting up my U30 to install from my network.
> I'm using an SS10 as the install server. The setup_install_server
> command has been running for three hours now, while copying files
> from my 2-speed cd. It could be worse!

To put it in perspective when an E10K is loaded in the field its
loaded from the SSP via JumpStart. When the E10Ks first shipped
(before the U5s were SSPs)  SS5s were SSPs. You could have a 64
processor box with 64GB of RAM being JumpStarted from a 110Mhz
SS5.... all running the same OS. (I think there may have been
110Mhz SS5 SSPs. All the SS5 SSPs I've seen are 170Mhz, though.)

Now, an E10K could be loaded from a local CD-ROM (if you had a
SCSI sbus card in the E10K and a CD-ROM attached.) IIRC it isn't
officially supported.

You can even JumpStart your E10K from a dedicated jumsptart
server which isn't the SSP. Many corporate networks have those,
so they get loaded from there sometimes.

Sometimes to speed up the 'setup_install_server' you can use a
faster system with a CD-ROM, (you know, your PC w/ that 48X) tar
up the contents of the CD-ROM and then FTP it over to a temp
directory on the box where the the server will be (or NFS mount
that temp directory from a system with more diskspace.) Then the
'setup_install_server' is copying disk-to-disk or network-to-disk
and it's hella faster than that old POS Toshiba XM-5401.

-Jon