[rescue] Re: Lily at Comdisco has more Ultra 30s (Fourty at last count!)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 17 15:57:31 CDT 2001

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Mike Dombrowski wrote:

> Uh, there's a big ole power supply covering half the ram slots. It's
> not really remove, it's more of a unscrew and slide backwards but
> disconnect drive power cable first. And you're supposed to add ram to
> each bank to get it to interleave IIRC. Oh, and I have to remove the

All you need to interleave on the 30 are fully populated quads rather than
pairs.  Not every bank needs to have RAM.  This is unlike beasts like the
450 that will interleave across up to all 16 DIMMs and require more
planning.

> I know why Sun did it, and how using 1.6" drives is nice and in some
> cases necessary to get fastest speed when new drives come out but it
> still bugs me.

The 30 was intended to be the high end desktop at the time, so I guess I
can see why.

> I was being silly. Only exspansion card I want is FDDI which I can get
> for next to nothing and maybe a 2nd head later on, and I would not want
> use any kind of SBUS video card as I can't stand 8bit.

You can get PCI FDDI cards with drivers, they are a bit pricy new though.

-James