[rescue] Interest in Sun PCI FDDI Cards?

Mike Dombrowski rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 17 13:01:46 CDT 2001

>Dumb questions follow...
>
>Is there any way these would work with those cheap fiber channel
drives
>floating around?  It they're PCI, could you stick 'em in a PeeCee,
assuming
>Linux or BSD has driver support?

Nope. Fibre Channel and FDDI are completely different.

>> Anybody interested in cheapish ($15-$20) Sun PCI FDDI Cards? I have
>> lead on a bulk of them(20) and I don't know if I should pick them up
>> and split out the pack. Type 5 cards with SC connectors. If you're
>> interested
>
>Any idea what chipset they are?  Any possibility of there being NetBSD
>(or even Linux) drivers for them?
>
>I'd love to get my file servers onto FDDI to connect to my
DECswitch....

Dunno what chipset, I'll see once I get my first small batch of the
cards. I believe they are OEM from somebody else but I forget. From the
UltraLinux faq:

"On PCI based systems however your card can work if there is driver
support within Linux. Known to work are PCI SCSI cards, PCI TV cards,
PCI video cards, PCI (Fast)EtherNet cards. "

I'll check more into that later, but now I gotta decide whether or not
to call my dad home from work to take me to emergency room - stiff,
sore neck and sore throat are kinda scaring me.

Mike