[rescue] Re: Lily at Comdisco has more Ultra 30s (Fourty at last count!)

Mike Dombrowski rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 17 08:21:29 CDT 2001

>Do you have to remove *anything* to add RAM to your U30? I don't...

Uh, there's a big ole power supply covering half the ram slots. It's
not really remove, it's more of a unscrew and slide backwards but
disconnect drive power cable first. And you're supposed to add ram to
each bank to get it to interleave IIRC. Oh, and I have to remove the
case + screw :P

>The difference between the U30 and U60 is not only SMP, but dual SCSI
chains
>(ext. seperate from int.).

Oh, I thought the U30 had that. Doh.

>With a little bit of work, you should be able to put 2x SCSI drives in
the
>two open bays under the CD-ROM. Also, the U30/U60 will take 1.6" SCA
drives
>easily, so all those great SCA drive-deals that *won't* fit in the SS/
5,
>SS/20, or most Ultra 1/2/5/10 will fit in the U30/60 boxes.

I know why Sun did it, and how using 1.6" drives is nice and in some
cases necessary to get fastest speed when new drives come out but it
still bugs me.

>Why would you want SBUS expansion? I was under the impression that the
PCI
>bus was (in most respects) superior, although the cost of add-in cards
is
>typically more than SBUS...

I was being silly. Only exspansion card I want is FDDI which I can get
for next to nothing and maybe a 2nd head later on, and I would not want
use any kind of SBUS video card as I can't stand 8bit.

Mike