[rescue] Sun 3/60

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 16 16:45:41 CDT 2001

woods at weird.com writes:

>(of course where GCC really started to loose ground is on sparc v8 and
>alpha -- only with GCC-3.x is performance supposedly coming back up to
>par with commercial compilers.  It really sucked on the 3B2 too, at
>least after the SysVr3.2 compiler came out with its enhanced optimiser.)

I vaguely recall GCC compiled for the 3B2 (WE32000) but they didn't have
an assembler, and the SysV assembler only came with the development system,
so if you were just trying to avoid paying for the compiler, gcc didn't
help any.

(I paid for the compiler. Think I've still got the floppies somewhere...)

-------- David Fischer --------- dave at cca.org --------- www.cca.org --------
-------- If it wasn't for good luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all. -------