[rescue] Sun 3/60

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 16 14:44:37 CDT 2001

[ On Thursday, August 16, 2001 at 13:14:31 (-0400), Dave McGuire wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Sun 3/60
>
> directly on the shell servers) I hacked up pieces of SunOS4.1.1 to
> turn a Sun3/160 packed with ALM-1 boards into a terminal server.  All
> we had was manpower and expertise...not a single dime to spend.  This
> was a startup company before the days of multimillion-dollar venture
> capital investments in ISPs. :-)

Ah, now here I thought when I'd heard you had source that you must have
been a serious software developer, or big-time SunOS user, and paid the
big bucks to have it!  :-)

>   No, we didn't exactly *buy* the SunOS source code.  But the folks
> who got us the code couldn't find the unbundled compiler sources.
> Hell, we didn't even have the BINARIES for that compiler.  It was
> pretty difficult to get in those days.

I've only ever managed to convince one Sun shop I've ever done any
programming for to buy SunPRO-C.  They did it because they were
releasing source to customers who might have had it too so we had to do
the testing.  We only had a 2-seat license though, which was a major
pain.

However I'm doing work for another shop now that's got lots of Sun
equipment, and oddly enough lots of former Sun employees too, and of
course they have a copy (which I think is legit -- they're pretty
careful about such stuff as you can imagine)....  (but it seems to be
just a two-seat license too, so I never use it except late at night
after even their engineers have gone off to bed! :-) They've got
teamware with it too, which I'd love to play around with sometime if I
can find the time....

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>