[rescue] Sun 3/60

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 16 12:14:31 CDT 2001

On August 16, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> I'm assuming you had source for SunOS then, which means you did have the
> source for the native 'cc' (and probably could have bought source for
> the SunPro-C too)?

  Bought? ;)

  Lemme paint a quick picture...  [insert funky music here]

  It's January of 1993.  Four guys, unshowered for days at a time,
sleeping in the office most of the time, most of the gear in the
computer room was personally owned and held together with duct tape,
paychecks bounced half of the time.  We liked elevated cable
trays...ours was a piece of clotehsline with hoops of tie-wraps every
foot or so with the cables strung through them.  When we wanted to
move away from direct-dialin systems (banks of modems on serial ports
directly on the shell servers) I hacked up pieces of SunOS4.1.1 to
turn a Sun3/160 packed with ALM-1 boards into a terminal server.  All
we had was manpower and expertise...not a single dime to spend.  This
was a startup company before the days of multimillion-dollar venture
capital investments in ISPs. :-)

  No, we didn't exactly *buy* the SunOS source code.  But the folks
who got us the code couldn't find the unbundled compiler sources.
Hell, we didn't even have the BINARIES for that compiler.  It was
pretty difficult to get in those days.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire