[rescue] Sun 3/60

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 16 03:43:12 CDT 2001

On August 16, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> >  And there's one way NO PC will ever run rings around a Sun3/60:
> >Reliability.  Some of those machines regularly had uptimes near 600
> >days.  And they were in constant use.
>
> Come on Dave, don't give me that.

  I beg your pardon?

> As long as you don't run Windows OSes on PC hardware, they are pretty
> stable and reliable.

  Oh get real, Patrick.  Pretty stable compared to my ex-girlfriend
maybe, but not when compared to a machine like a Sun3/60.  Never in a
million years, and I think you know it.  There are Sun systems running
in production down the street from me that significantly predate even
original-line Pentium systems.  Don't tell me the PeeCees are going to
be more reliable than that, because they all (or very nearly all) get
sent to the scrapper LONG before they're anywhere near that old!

>  It's the presence of the "Coded by Redmond virus"
> that reduces PC reliability.

  Reduces it even further, yes.  It was too bad to use in production in
the first place, if you care about the reliability of the hardware
that you put your name behind...and I, perhaps for one, do.

    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD