[rescue] Sun ISDN/IDSL HOWTO? (was Wanted: ISDN equipment)

Neil McNeight rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 23:31:15 CDT 2001

> From: Brian Hechinger <wonko at arkham.ws>
>
> uhm.  ahhhhhhh.  IDSL and ISDN are not at all the same thing.  you can't hook
> an IDSL line into an ISDN device and expect it to work.

Crud. I was under the impression that IDSL was just ISDN rebadged with a
trendy DSL acronym. It probably is at some level, given the speeds listed
and the fact that it's the only thing that'll reach out here.

Here we go. From the DSL-HOWTO at www.linuxdoc.org:

IDSL:

"ISDN Digital Subscriber Loop, 144 Kbps/144 Kbps is really a new and
improved ISDN from Lucent Technologies and uses the same 2B1Q line
encoding as ISDN, SDSL and others. IDSL does require a dedicated line
however. The benefits are that it is an "always on" technology, like other
DSLs, and provides an additional 16 Kbps over traditional ISDN. It is
being marketed by some DSL providers as a low end bit rate option, where
line quality is not sufficient for higher speeds such as that of ADSL."

Sounds just different enough to keep from working with the LX interface :/

> i think just about any NT-1 should work with the sun stuff.

OK. That's encouraging, if I go that route.

ISDN involves dealing with the drooling pig-fuckers at Ameritech/SBC (as
would IDSL, at some level, but not as directly...). That's one of the big
reasons I went with the cable modem first. It's also a big monthly outlay
of cash ($28 for the line and $100+ for the pipe, plus installation).
I wish I didn't crave bandwidth so...

-Neil

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." | Neil McNeight
                        -Mahatma Gandhi            | mcneight at umich.edu