[rescue] Re: Sun 3/60

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 22:33:59 CDT 2001

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 james at foonly.com wrote:

> That's IMHO a silly price.  I gave away my last 3/60, which was in better
> cosmetic condition, had 24MB RAM, a P4 cg6, a 19" mono monitor, a type-4
> keyboard and mouse with adapter cable and an external 327MB drive.  Sun
> made zillions of these things.

But it's "loaded with 24 RAM chips!!!" And these 512MB PC100 SDRAM DIMMS I
see around have fewer than that, so it must be cool.

Seriously though, agreed. There are a lot of them being thrown away around
the country, and if you really want to pay a lot, someone here can
probably oblige you. Or if you don't. :)

> I might pay good money for a loaded 3/400, but that's about it in
> sun3-land.  Everything else is probably too common to be "collectable".

I have a 3/50M with 8MB of memory, apparently a special run with a "Not
for use outside Sun Microsystems" sticker on it. The traditional barcode
tag on the release push-thingie is handwritten if I recall correctly. I
got it in an auction lot 3 years or so ago for about $50 along with
keyboard, mono 19" monitor, mouse, pad, and some other stuff. That might
be collectible as well.

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows