[rescue] Sun ISDN/IDSL HOWTO? (was Wanted: ISDN equipment)

Neil McNeight rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 22:20:12 CDT 2001

> From: <james at foonly.com>
>
> The all-in-one appliance would probably be simpler and offer fewer
> compatability issues.

True. I replaced a Linux box with a Linksys cable modem router, and
I've had zero problems with it. But, if possible I would like to utilize
the LX just to make it work (if I can justify it working, I get to keep it
:)

> What box does your provider recommend?

I don't know, as I haven't signed up for it yet. I currently have a cable
modem, but MediaOne/Comcast (Comcast bought this area recently from
MediaOne, but the network still seems to be under AT&T control) is
blocking port 80 and by their conditions of use they are under no
obligation to unblock it.

So, in order to get my servers back online I either:

1) Wait for port 80 to become free again, with no guarantee that they
   won't do it again

2) Colocate ($80/month at a friends' place)

3) Sign up for IDSL

Just exploring options at this point.

> R.I.P. Northpoint
> R.I.P. Rhythms
> R.I.P. Covad (just filed chap. 11)

I'm actually still looking at speakeasy.net/Covad. I like speakeasy's
conditions of use, and I'm not too concerned about Covad's financials (I
wish I had a year's worth of cash reserves...).

-Neil

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." | Neil McNeight
                        -Mahatma Gandhi            | mcneight at umich.edu