[rescue] re: Sun ISDN/IDSL HOWTO?

Sheldon T. Hall rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 19:48:08 CDT 2001

I'm probably not your best witness on this, but it's my understanding that
the LX won't take an ISDN line directly; you have to have an NT-1 between
the LX and the wall.  I don't know what an NT-1 actually does, but I believe
it's a neccessary part of the LX-to-ISDN set-up.

I don't know what the exact difference between ISDN and ISDL is, either.

Personally, I don't think I'm up to the task of running a Unix box that's
directly exposed to the Internet.  I'd rather have something that does less,
but is easier to secure.   Besides, it seems to be easier to find a complete
"ISDN modem" or "ISDN Router" than it is to get an NT-1 for the LX ....

In my case the phone company offered me a "new 3COM ISDN Modem" for full
retail, something like $475.  I didn't have to buy it, so I didn't.  I'm
sort of "trailing edge" when it comes to spending actual money on computer
gear, anyway, and picking up something older from a fellow list member fits
right in.

-Shel