[rescue] Sun ISDN/IDSL HOWTO? (was Wanted: ISDN equipment)

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 19:43:42 CDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 12:24:00PM -0400, Neil McNeight wrote:

> I'm thinking about getting IDSL (the only kind available where I live) for
> my home network, but I don't know much about what all is required. I was
> hoping that by using an LX as a gateway (ISDN in, 10Base-T out), I can
> save the $350 equipment charge from my potential IDSL provider.

uhm.  ahhhhhhh.  IDSL and ISDN are not at all the same thing.  you can't hook
an IDSL line into an ISDN device and expect it to work.

> What other equipment am I going to need, and are there any recommendations
> for ISDN hardware that plays nice with Sun hardware?

i think just about any NT-1 should work with the sun stuff.

> Am I anything ahead if I go this route, or would just sticking with an
> all-in-one appliance be worth it?

well, if you do go this route, you still need an IDSL "modem" and a second
ethernet card for the LX, so for geek points the LX wins, but for plug and
drool simplicity the all-in-one wins.

-brian