[rescue] Two network cards on SS2

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 17:48:24 CDT 2001

On 15 Aug 2001 16:26:30 -0400, G W Adkins wrote:
> > > setenv  local-mac-address  true
> > > Anybody know which S-bus cards support this option?
> > Everything past the sbus hme (including the qfe and PCI versions of the
> >
> > Keep in mind that you can always set an alternate MAC address with
> > ifconfig if it's necessary regardless of the interface.  The usual
> > convention I follow in that case is to set the second bit of the first
> > octet (denoting a non-IEEE address) and to set the last 4 octets to the IP
> > address bound to that interface.
> >
> Dude!  does this work under BSD?  (I know it works under Solaris...)
> If you know of a way to do this under BSD, you must tell us!

This doesn't work under OpenBSD, but I haven't tried Net just yet.  It
DOES work under OSs that don't have a completely STUPID ifconfig
command, like Linux and Solaris.  There is a program that will let you
change the mac address under OpenBSD,
http://www.dizum.com/openbsd/src/sea.c, but I haven't tried it.  As it
turned out, I said 'nah, don't need to test', and deployed things.
	Greg