[rescue] DSL - Yay! ....off topic q's

Steve Pacenka rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 15:17:34 CDT 2001

> What is the best external solution?  I think I want:
>
> Internet -> DSL -> my home DSL jack -> DSL modem+NAT box -> plugged into
> ethernet hub
>
> Does this sound about right?

Could work depending on your DSL provider.

My provider (Telergy in NY US) would not support a DSL modem plugged into a
hub.  There had to be a fixed ethernet hardware address on the ethernet device
connected to the DSL modem.  My topology is:

  internet -> DSL -> home DSL jack -> DSL modem -> Netgear 314 box including
hub/NAT/firewall/DHCP/DNS proxy/PPPOE -> various hosts.

The Netgear box has a fixed ethernet hardware address on its input jack, so it
satisfies the DSL provider's constraints.

-- SP