[rescue] Alpha rescue

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 11:04:27 CDT 2001

[ On Wednesday, August 15, 2001 at 12:41:23 (-0400), James Sharp wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: [rescue] Alpha rescue
>
> > Yup, there it is in the supported model list:
> >
> >      * DECpc AXP 150 (Jensen) (1.5)
> >
> > and support's apparently already in a full release too!
>
> Supported, yes.  There's some problems with support for the EISA bus in
> the machine.  Most, if not all, of the driver code for the Jensen was
> written by Jason Thorpe without hardware to test against (a nice feat in
> of itself).  He's supposedly getting his hands on an actual Jensen machine
> to work out the last few kinks in the EISA code.

I haven't really been following the Jensen discussions on port-alpha,
but are you sure about that?

I've *NEVER* seen the NetBSD folks claim a machine is supported without
having actually tested it.  They are very very careful about that kind
of thing.

Sure not all generically supported EISA cards might work on that
machine, but if the model is explictily listed as "supported" then the
basic system should work.

Note that the code was NOT written stand-alone without hardware -- it
was tested (and note this item is over a year old!):

   2000-07-14: Support for Jensen systems
           Jason Thorpe has gotten the Jensen systems (DECpc AXP 150 a.k.a.
           DEC 2000/300) working, thanks to some testing help from Gyenes
           Istvan. There was a kernel configuration error in the INSTALL
           kernel that prevented Jensen SCSI from working, but that has since
           been fixed and the code has been committed. Support for Jensen
           systems will be in NetBSD 1.5. More details are available in the
           port-alpha mail archive.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>