[rescue] Alpha rescue

Hatle, Steven J. rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 08:16:10 CDT 2001

All,

I picked up an AXP150 ("Jensen") box this week from a local emporium. My
first Alpha! <grin> I've poked around on the 'Net, and found that OpenBSD is
not a supported platform, so I guess I'm stuck with some type of Linux. I'm
not a VMS guy, and don't want to become one.  .  .

Can any of the digerati among you answer me a few questions? This is an EISA
box, and the only thing it was missing was a NIC. What are my chances of
using one of the 3COM EISA NIC's I have, with the generic .CFG file from
3COM. My recollection of EISA is that this should Just Work; any reason I'd
have to find a specific DEC card?

Second- why should I not run Linux, and what should I run? I would have
preferred a *BSD. Is it realistic to get one of the DEC OS's (OSF-1 or ?)
Linux- been there, done that; however, I don't know if I want to learn
another dialect of UNIX for what is essentially a toy.  .  .

Comments welcome!

Steve

(Bill, tell me if this is too off-topic)

Steve Hatle
VUE - a Pearson company
shatle at vue.com