[rescue] sun3/50 swap

David L Kindred (Dave) rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 14 18:23:11 CDT 2001

    schaecsn> Hi!
    >> On August 12, schaecsn wrote:
    >> > I do have a SunOS4.1.1U1 question (sun 3/50).
    >> >
    >> > My machine crashes under "heavy" load, e.g. 3..5 simultaneous
    >> > compilier runs.  I think the reason is I do have no virtual
    >> > memory available.

    schaecsn> O.k., in the meantime I am pretty sure that I do have
    schaecsn> virtual memory enabled (4MB physical and 48MB swap).

Remember when 4MB physical was a BIG system?

    schaecsn> I can always reproduce kernel crashes under "all kernels",
    schaecsn> e.g. GENERIC, GENERIC_SMALL and a small custom kernel. I
    schaecsn> have also installed SunOS a couple of times to make sure
    schaecsn> that I have a "good" installation.  Furthermore I haven't
    schaecsn> touched any files. I just installed some random stuff
    schaecsn> under /usr/local, but even before installing anything I
    schaecsn> got these crashes.

The most common cause of random errors in my experience is flaky memory.
And the boot-rom RAM tests don't do a decent job of testing anything.
Refresh my memory: is the RAM in the 3/50 socketed or soldered in?  It's
been a long time since I saw one.  If it's socketed, you might want to
try another set of memory, or at very least remove/re-insert what you
have.

--
David L. Kindred                       <mailto:d.kindred at telesciences.com>
Unix Systems & Network Administrator   Telesciences, Inc.