[rescue] HP 720 (I Think...)

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 06:42:27 CDT 2001

> > It was a 4.4 mach thingy the Utah folks did, but I forgot the url.
> > Try a search on HPBSD or something like that.
> >
> > I never got to come up fully, although it may have been something
> > peculiar I was doing.  I need to investigate that more.
> >
> > It looked kind of like a vanilla 4.4 lite suite.
>
> What was the appeal of it over 4.4 lite?

The PA-RISC boxes (700 lines in particular) only run HPUX, the HPBSD
or the mach thingy.  Nothing else exists for them, yet.  NetBSD
and Linux are working on ports, if I am reading the buzz correctly.
But, nothing is working yet on either.  That is why I was inquiring
about the HPBSD.  The HPBSD supposedly was a little better than the
mach lites port, but required the licensing.  Now that the licensing
is essentially free from SCO/Caldera, I thought I should inquire about
the real BSD thingy.  I sense that it was running on so few machines
(maybe less than 10 at Utah), that it may have become vaporware.

Bob