[rescue] My U5 buy

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 11 11:31:54 CDT 2001

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 09:53:53AM -0400, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> What I find disturbing about all of this is that inventory I have is suddenly
> worthless, ok, maybe not worthless but nearly all my profits have evaporated.
> Perfect example is this U5. I have 2 used 270's in stock and I have in
> the past been selling them for ~$685.00.

I looked at it this way:

When the Ultra 5/10 came out, that killed the SS10/20 used market.
When the SunBlade 100 came out, that killed the used U1/U5/U10 market.
When the dot-bomb hit, that killed the used *anything* market, as
 leasing companies (ComDisco) dump equipment to get whatever they can
 out of it.

The above is the reason why until recently, I never owned any *brand new*
Sun hardware - and that was only because I was given a SunBalde 100 in
exchange for some sysadmin  work.

Its a risk you take in *any* market... not just computers.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net