[rescue] OT: resetting cisco ios enable password

Kevin Loch rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 11 11:16:45 CDT 2001

Depending on the system model, and how long you can have it down,
here's what I did on a 17xx series router:

1. power off, remove cover, remove flash card.
2. power on with term connected to console port.  Rom
will complain about no file to load.  Go through the rom options
(I forget the command, type '?') and set the  "load config from nvram
(or startup or something)" to 'N'.  This will cause it to ignore the
config
in nvram (with enable password) when you start up again.
3. replace flash card, power up.  The system will load but config
will not load.
4. type "enable", it should have no password now.
5. type "copy startup-config running-config".  This will load the
config,
but since you already have enable, you will be able to set the enable
passwd in the
next step
6 type "enable secret asdfasdf"
7 type "copy running-config startup-config"
8. repeat setps 1-2 but tell it to load config from nvram at startup.

I hope that helps.

KL