[rescue] SS20's AUI port

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 11 08:51:09 CDT 2001

Coax networking has lots of little problems...

if the cable breaks, it is hard to determine where the cable break is.

coax is limited to 10 Mb/s, cat 5 goes to 100 Mb/s or greater...

every machine is connected to one of it's neighbors, complicating any
network design of moe than 2 or 3 machines in the same room/near by

besides, cat 5 is *so* cheap, from $5-10 10/100 Mb/s cards to $40 8 port
hubs and 5 port switches...

DIY micrAUI to (std) AUI would be challenging, as connectors will cost
*almost* as much as the finished cable from Mike N I suspect.

Ken