[rescue] (no subject)

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 10 12:15:26 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 12:55:55PM -0400, Zach Malone wrote:
> I personally would like to see some of the arrays which should originate
> from these 180gb Seagate drives, even in a shorter 24U rack you should be to
> hold a few dozen of 'em.  10+ tb of storage in a rack would be really nice.

these were the full 7' racks.  each shelf holds, what, 7 drives? something like
that? all 36G drives.  well, the NEW NetApp shelves use low profile drives so
you can get like 14 74GB drives in a shelf.  so, double the drive size, and
double the number of drives per shelf, and you get 8TB per rack.  still not on
par with a cabinet of 180GB drives, but once they start using those things?
look out.

cheers,

-brian