[rescue] Re: rescue digest, Vol 1 #1842 - 16 msgs

Mike Dombrowski rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 10 11:09:06 CDT 2001

>> >From looking at a manual from HP's website, it appears I picked up
an HP
>> Apollo 720 with a 424mb drive, 48mb of RAM (? 6 memory boards - 4
>> labeled 8mb and 2 physically bigger ones that have no id on them) a
>> floppy, and a monochrome video card with one bnc connector.
>>
>> For $25 at the university's surplus shop, it seemed a good deal.
Can
>> anyone point me in the direction of more info? Anyone got a copy of
HPUX
>> 10 for sale? Or a video card that is non bnc for sale?
>>
>> Ah well, time to go find my terminal and set it up...
>>
>> William
>
>Nice machine...  There are directions around the net for getting past
the
>root password as long as there is an OS on there..  My advice would be
>forget the console and use a terminal instead and slap a bigger HDD on
>it.  The 720 should use SCSI and any decent drive should work quite
>well.  Your only prb may be that sometimes you have to set the console
for
>serial to use a terminal, but you have to have a KB, Mouse, Monitor to
do
>it...  Pain in the butt!

In my experience if you pull the framebuffer it reverts to serial where
you can use your terminal to set serial usage by default and then
replace the graphics board. I would too get a bigger drive then load my
OS. If you want console on a HPUX box get a 712, 715, B-class, or C-
class. They're all real cheap on Ebay and can be had for less than $100
+ shipping.

Mike