[rescue] HP 720 (I Think...)

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 10 10:30:17 CDT 2001

> >From looking at a manual from HP's website, it appears I picked up an HP
> Apollo 720 with a 424mb drive, 48mb of RAM (? 6 memory boards - 4
> labeled 8mb and 2 physically bigger ones that have no id on them) a
> floppy, and a monochrome video card with one bnc connector.

AFIK, you can pull the bnc video board, and then it defaults to
the serial port for a monitor.  My 735's do.

The coding scheme on ram goes something like orange=8mb
                                             yellow=8 or 16mb (forget which)
                                             blue=32mb

It sounds like your ram is 96mb.

> For $25 at the university's surplus shop, it seemed a good deal.  Can
> anyone point me in the direction of more info? Anyone got a copy of HPUX
> 10 for sale? Or a video card that is non bnc for sale?

5-25 bux is the going price for HP stuff locally, when it surfaces.
It tends to be less common that DEC or Sun stuff.

Pull the card and use the classic serial terminal, for now.  9600/8/N/1
It works fine for me.  I need to scare up one of those funky HP keyboards,
before I can get mine to do anything great.  It is OK on a terminal.

> Ah well, time to go find my terminal and set it up...

Yup.

Bob