[rescue] (no subject)

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 9 23:46:39 CDT 2001

On August 9, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> > I've been reading some Cray/NEC docs, and they mention that FC-AL is
> > 100mbyte/s, and also that HIPPI is 100mbyte/s.  Why choose HIPPI for
> > storage then?  Does it have advantages other than just speed?
>
> I'm not an expert. This is what I know, tho...
>
> I didn't think HPPI was used for storage... just for low-latency high
> bandwidth applications (cluster/multi-cpu interconnect.) I don't think
> it has the "overhead" required for storage devices.

  HIPPI is used for lots of things.  There are HIPPI disk arrays,
HIPPI frame buffers, etc etc.  It's very fast, and very low-latency.
It typically shows up on a machine as a network interface.

  HIPPI runs at varying speeds.  100MBps is the slowest.

  HIPPI is wonderful and manly.  Lots of information can be found at
http://hsi.web.cern.ch/HSI/hippi/introduc.html.

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire