[rescue] sunrays>

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 9 13:38:08 CDT 2001

AT my last job, one of my projects was setting up the sunray server system.

Sunrays are like VERY fancy xterms. They run off the server, and
the software knows where the sunrays are (I built a 12 screen
multihead in the operations war room because of this feature.
had to use a key to switch screens, but one keyboard and mouse
controlled the whole thing.))

Using a network of 190 sunrays and 2 E420r's (4x4) as servers,
we had normal response times, fast compiles, and a load average
right around 20% IIRC.

The Sunray software will run on 32bit machines, and even with our
weekend visitor load (4 avid irc nuts and web browsing with mp's
floating over the nfs) I could easily handle 6 people off a half
loaded 1000....

I could probably handle it off of my ultra without diffculty if
one of my drives was external and I had a half gig of ram.

I've found the server software to be relatively sane to administer,
and the smart card login system was truly helpful for user problems.
(though you can use it without a smart card)

The reason I really want a sunray or two for home (and Bill, can I
get a copy of of the server software form you?) is to keep
reasonably fresh wtih the skills. That may be a big selling point
in my next job.....

-Christof