[rescue] Printing to the 'net

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 8 17:02:25 CDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 10:58:29AM -0400, s at avoidant.org wrote:
> Ken Hansen wrote:
> > Firewall/VPN == exposed directly to the Intenet?
>
> The printer's not firewalled. See previous post; what's to protect
> against?

I forget where I read it, but some guy posted that the Code Red worm scanned
his printer and caused it to either hang (requiring a "reboot") or else to
think it was some kind of print job and spew several pages of gibberish.

You might be able to hack a PS printer by sending an incomplete print job
that would trap and send back the PS to an IP address; then you submit a
partial print job, capture the next print job and send to the hostile IP.
Unlikely though.

./patrick