[rescue] Re: what the... (joshua d boyd)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 8 12:06:30 CDT 2001

> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1262848691
>
> What in the world is that thing?  They claim that it is an SGI, but it
> doesn't look like one (don't see any logos either).

 It is an Indigo2 Impact in some sort of disguise. The ports on the back are
the same as in the Indigo2 and in the last picture you can see the power cable
used for the impact graphics with special power supply.

 This is a very nice machine, if you look at the back, you can see that it has
7 slots. The normal Indigo2 has only 4 expansion slots, which rather limits the
number of option cards you can use (MaxImpact graphics takes three slots).

 I know there is an industrial 19"rack version of the Indigo which has a larger
backplane, so this might be a prototype, just a re-packaged system or maybe a
cusyom-built system (I don't want to know what that would have costed).

 Graphics are probably High-Impact; I would guess that one extra card is some
sort of video card and the other a network/serial card.

 Nice buy, only the case can't compare to a real purple Indigo2.

  regards,
   Michiel