[rescue] Printing to the 'net

Dan Sikorski rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 8 10:50:25 CDT 2001

> I guess my question is; what's to defend against besides paper waste?
>

> ---sambo

Well, if you have no problems having someone wasting heaps of paper and
toner, (pages on the life of the printer), I guess nothing.  Except for
maybe the possibility that when you need to print something, you'll go
over there to find it spewing out hundreds of copies of "i own joo
printerzzz, i am 37337." But personally, I prefer the peace of mind that
other people can't mess with my stuff.  I guess the same goes for all
security.  Is it a huge problem if someone had access to my server at
home, and got copies of my resume, mp3's and some other stuff? Probably
not.  With backups, I wouldn't really have much to worry about, except
for the time to rebuild things, time that I'm not willing to spend if I
can avoid it, much like I wouldn't put up with tossing out 1000 sheets
of paper (isn't that what a stock 8000 series with 2 paper trays holds?)
Once you consider the price of the toner, the paper, the wear on the
printer (that much closer to needing a $375 maintenance kit) It's more
money than I'd just toss into a fire.  Oh well, you just got a lot more
rant than you bargained for.

	-Dan Sikorski